Replacing your Medicare card if it is lost, stolen or damaged

Question 8 of 11 (use "Last" or "Next" buttons to see more)

If your red-white-and-blue Original Medicare card has been lost or stolen, or you can no longer use it because it is too faded or damaged, you can replace it by calling the National Social Security Hotline at 800-772-1213. You can also apply for a new card online or go to your local Social Security office.

To get a new card, you will need to provide your

  • name as it appears on your most recent Social Security card;
  • Social Security number; and
  • date of birth.

Note: If you get Medicare health or drug benefits from a Medicare Advantage plan such as an HMO, PPO or PDP, you need to call your plan to get your plan card replaced.

Note: If you get Medicare through the Railroad Retirement Board, call the Railroad Retirement Board Help Line at 877-772-5772 to order a replacement Medicare card.

You should get your new card in the mail within 30 days.

To avoid complications, keep your important insurance cards in a safe place, make photocopies and write down the numbers so that you have a record for future reference if you lose any of them.

If your Medicare card has been lost or stolen, watch out for Medicare fraud. Check your Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) for services you did not receive and, if you spot any, call the Inspector General's fraud hotline at 800-HHS-TIPS (800-447-8477) to report them. When it investigates the potential fraud, Medicare will not use your name if you do not want it to.

Related Questions
Can my state give me more rights and protections than federal law regarding Medigap plan enrollment?

Donate Now
Go to previous question Go to next question
How do I show proof of my Original Medicare coverage? (What card should I show?)

Medicare fraud

Social Security

Replace Your Medicare Card at

Replace Your Railroad Medicare Card

< Last | Next >