Will I pay more for Part D if my income is high?

Section VI.b. Part D Cost Overview
Question 6 of 6 (use "Last" or "Next" buttons to see more)

You’ll pay more for Part D if the income you reported on your IRS tax return two years ago was above $85,000 per year ($170,000 for couples). The income that counts is the adjusted gross income you reported plus other forms of tax-exempt income.

How much more you will pay depends on how high your income is. You will continue to pay your regular premium to your Part D plan. The additional premium will automatically be deducted from your Social Security check. If the additional premium is more than your Social Security check, Medicare will bill you.

The additional premium will be a percentage of the national base beneficiary premium which is $34.10 in 2016. The charts below will tell you how much more you will pay for Part D in 2016 if your income is above $85,000 ($170,000 for couples).


Your additional premium in 2016 based on income is as follows:



What you pay in addition to your regular Part D premium

Equal to or
below $85,000

Equal to or
below $170,000


$85,001 -

$170,001 - $214,000


$107,001 - $160,000

$214,001 - $320,000


$160,001 - $214,000

$320,001 - $428,000


Above $214,000

Above $428,000


Related Questions
Can my state give me more rights and protections than federal law regarding Medigap plan enrollment?

Donate Now
Go to previous question Go to next question
Am I eligible for the Medicare drug benefit (Part D)?

Medicare drug benefit (Part D) costs

Medicare prescription drug benefit (Part D)

Should I enroll in Medicare Part D?

What you pay for Part B if your income is high

Social Security

Social Security Information on Part B Income Calculation

< Last | Next >