Coverage and costs if you stay in the hospital overnight
Section IV.j. Hospital Services: Outpatient (Part B)
Question 3 of 3 (use "Last" or "Next" buttons to see more)
If you stay overnight in the hospital, your costs and coverage will depend on whether you have inpatient status or outpatient status in the hospital. Know that staying overnight in the hospital does not make you a hospital inpatient. You only become an inpatient after your doctor formally admits you to the hospital.
In general, doctors will only admit you if they expect you will need to stay at least 2 days overnight in the hospital. Part A covers most care you get when you are an inpatient.
On the other hand, when you are in the emergency room or in the hospital under observation, you are usually an outpatient. You may be under observation if your doctor is keeping an eye on you to decide whether or not to admit you. Observation services may look and feel exactly like an inpatient services. Observation can last just a few hours or longer. Part B covers outpatient care, including observation services.
Whether your care gets covered under Part A or Part B makes a difference. You will likely pay more for care if it’s considered outpatient rather than inpatient. It also affects whether you may qualify for Medicare to pay for your stay in a skilled nursing facility (SNF) after you leave the hospital. See below for more information.
Ask if you are an inpatient or outpatient repeatedly. Your patient status can change during your stay. . Tell your family members and caregivers to ask many times about your status if you cannot ask yourself.
Read below to learn about your costs for hospital care as an inpatient or outpatient. The costs discussed below apply to those with Original Medicare. If you have a Medicare Advantage plan, your costs in the hospital may look different. Contact your plan for information about what you pay for an inpatient or outpatient hospital stay.
Costs for inpatient hospital care
When you are admitted to a hospital as an inpatient, you pay a one-time deductible for most hospital care provided and then have no copayments for the first 60 days. The Part A hospital benefit includes nurse’s services, medically necessary medications, X-rays, supplies, appliances, and equipment the hospital provides for you to use during your inpatient hospital stay. Medicare Part B covers doctors’ services you receive in the hospital. You usually owe a separate 20 percent coinsurance for these doctors’ services.
Your status as a hospital inpatient may qualify you for Medicare to pay for a SNF stay if you need it after you leave the hospital. People with Medicare must have a three-day inpatient stay in a hospital and meet other requirements for Medicare coverage of SNF stays. The day you become an inpatient counts toward the qualifying days and the day the hospital discharges you does not.
Costs and coverage for outpatient hospital care
If Part B covers your hospital stay, you typically pay a coinsurance for each medical service you receive in the hospital after you meet the Part B deductible. For example, you will have separate charges for emergency room care, observation care, x-rays and lab tests. You must also pay the coinsurance for physician services you receive. Physician services include any time you spent with a physician while you were in the hospital, even if that physician was not your primary doctor or surgeon. Original Medicare Part B generally covers 80 percent of the cost of most services you receive after you have met your yearly deductible. In most cases, you are responsible in paying the remaining 20 percent coinsurance.
When Part B covers your hospital care, you may have higher costs than if Part A covered your stay.
You will need to pay the hospital for these medications and then send the bill to your Part D to pay its share of the costs, The days spent as an outpatient do not qualify you for a SNF stay.