Enrolling in Medicare if you missed your Initial Enrollment Period

Question 6 of 11 (use "Last" or "Next" buttons to see more)

Did you have employer insurance through a current job or your spouse's job at the time you became eligible for Medicare?

If yes:

    You may be eligible for a Special Enrollment Period, which means you can enroll in Medicare without penalty at any time while you have group health coverage and for eight months after you lose your group health coverage or you (or your spouse) stop working, whichever comes first.

    Note: If you are under 65, have Medicare due to disability and have health insurance through your domestic partner's current employer, you may also be entitled to a Special Enrollment Period if there are at least 100 employees at your domestic partner's place of work.

If no:

    You can apply for Medicare during the General Enrollment Period, between January 1 and March 31 of each year. Your coverage will start the following July and you will have to pay a Part B premium penalty.


Case Examples
Mr. N was eligible for a Part B Special Enrollment Period through his domestic partner.

Related Questions
Can my state give me more rights and protections than federal law regarding Medigap plan enrollment?

Donate Now
Go to previous question Go to next question
Getting Original Medicare if you were not automatically enrolled

Enrolling in Medicare if you are turning 65 and do not receive Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits

Enrolling in Medicare Part B if you are 65 or older, still working (or spouse is still working) and have insurance from that job

Medicare Part B late enrollment penalty

Local Social Security Office Locator

Social Security

State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) Directory

< Last | Next >