Getting Original Medicare if you were not automatically enrolled

Question 3 of 11 (use "Last" or "Next" buttons to see more)

If you will be eligible for Social Security retirement benefits when you turn 65, you can enroll in Medicare at your local Social Security office.

You can also enroll by mailing a signed and dated letter to Social Security that includes your name, Social Security number and the date you would like to be enrolled in Medicare.

If you are receiving railroad retirement benefits or are eligible to receive railroad retirement benefits, enroll in Medicare by contacting your local Railroad Retirement Board field office.

It is very important that you keep proof of when you tried to enroll in Medicare to protect yourself from incurring a Part B premium penalty if your application is lost. If you enroll through the mail, you should use certified mail and request a return receipt. If you go to the local Social Security office to enroll, take down the name of the person who helped you and ask for a written receipt.

Related Questions
Can my state give me more rights and protections than federal law regarding Medigap plan enrollment?

Donate Now
Go to previous question Go to next question
Medicare Part B late enrollment penalty

Is Medicare different for me if I get it through the Railroad Retirement Board?

Local Social Security Office Locator

Railroad Retirement Board

Social Security Benefit Application

Railroad Retirement Board Field Office Locator

< Last | Next >