A Comprehensive Outpatient Rehabilitation Facility (CORF) is a medical facility that provides outpatient diagnostic, therapeutic, and restorative services for the rehabilitation of your injury, disability, or sickness. This care is commonly known as outpatient rehabilitation care. At the very least, a CORF must provide the services of facility doctors, physical therapy, and social or psychological services. In order to get services at a CORF, your doctor must draw up a treatment plan and review it at least every 60 days.
Covered items and services at a CORF include:
- Doctors’ services
- Physical, occupational, and respiratory therapy, and speech-language pathology services
- Prosthetic and orthotic devices, including testing, fitting, or training in the use of these devices
- Social and psychological services if they relate to and are needed to carry out the rehabilitation treatment
- Nursing care provided by or under the supervision of a registered professional nurse
- Supplies and durable medical equipment
Generally, there is one combined bill for all of the CORF care you receive. Original Medicare will pay 80 percent of the cost of the CORF care, and you or your supplemental insurance will be responsible for the remaining 20 percent. However, a separate charge will apply if you received medical equipment or supplies you receive from the CORF. Medicare will pay 80 percent of the cost of this additional bill and you must pay the remaining 20 percent coinsurance.