Device and Web Browser Support: Courses are compatible with desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones. For the best course experience, we recommend using the latest browser version available for Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.
This course addresses Medicare Part D, the part of Medicare that covers most outpatient prescription drugs either through a stand-alone Part D plan or included in a Medicare Advantage Plan. You will learn how each Part D plan covers different drugs on its formulary, take a closer look at the drugs Part D and Part B cover, and find out which drugs are excluded from Medicare coverage. The course also details the cost structure of Part D plans, particularly the way premiums, deductibles, and copay/coinsurance amounts can vary, depending on the plan. We provide detailed explanations and examples to illustrate the four different phases of Part D coverage in any given calendar year: the deductible phase, the initial coverage period, the donut hole or coverage gap, and catastrophic coverage. We will also explore common coverage restrictions, including prior authorization, quantity limits, and step therapy. Finally, we’ll introduce Medicare Plan Finder, an online tool that helps individuals compare and find a Part D plan that works for them.
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- Identify which types of drugs Part D does and does not cover
- Understand Part D costs and coverage throughout the year
- Explain coverage restrictions that Part D plans can place on covered drugs
- Use Plan Finder to choose a drug plan
This course contains the following features:
- Interactive activities and knowledge quizzes
- Automatic course bookmarking so learners can continue where they left off
- Review tests at the end of every course – 80% or higher mark to pass the course and download a certificate of completion
- Educational content vetted by a team of national experts at Medicare Rights Center
- Closed captioning
- An array of printable supplementary tools and fliers