If you require health services at a reduced cost, there are two types of facilities that may be able to help.

  1. There are hundreds of government-funded health centers around the country that provide medical care regardless of your ability to pay. These clinics are generally run by the Human Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). You may hear them referred to as HRSA Health Centers. They may also be called:
    • Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs)
    • FQHC look-alikes
    • Migrant Health Centers
    • Health Care for the Homeless Program Centers
    • Public Housing Primary Care Centers
    • Or, Tribal Organization-run Outpatient Health Programs

People with Medicare are eligible to receive services from these government-funded health centers. The health centers provide Medicare-covered medical services as well as some preventive services that Medicare does not cover.

A unique advantage of government-funded health centers is that they may waive the Part B deductible. Additionally, these clinics may waive or reduce the 20% coinsurance for Medicare-covered services if your annual income is at or below the federal poverty level ($14,580 for an individual, $19,720 for a couple in 2024). Some government-funded health centers may also provide dental services. For more information, contact your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP).

  1. The Hill-Burton program offers free or reduced cost care at Hill-Burton facilities. Most states have the Hill-Burton program. Each facility chooses which services it will provide, and at what (if any) cost. Services that are fully covered by other types of insurance (like Medicare or Medicaid) are not eligible for Hill-Burton coverage. The Hill-Burton program will not cover Medicare cost-sharing. However, it will cover Medicaid copayments, except long-term care facility care, as well as Medicaid spend-down amounts.

Eligibility for the Hill-Burton program is based on your income and family size. You may apply for Hill-Burton assistance before or after you receive care, or after a bill has been sent to collections. To apply, call the Admissions, Business, or Patient Accounts office at a Hill-Burton facility.