Your monthly Medicare Part B premium will be higher if your income is above a certain amount. You’ll pay more for Part B if the income you reported on your IRS tax return two years ago was above $85,000 per year ($170,000 for couples). The income that counts is the adjusted gross income you reported plus other forms of tax-exempt income.

If your income is above this amount, your Part B premium depends on how high your income is.

Your premium will change based on income as follows:


Your Annual Income Your 2018
Monthly Premium
Individuals Couples
Equal to or
below $85,000
Equal to or
below $170,000
$85,001 –
$170,001 – $214,000 $187.50
$107,001 – $133,500 $214,001 – $267,000 $267.90
$133,501 – $160,000 $267,001 – $320,000 $348.30
Above $160,000 Above $320,000 $428.60



If Social Security sent you a letter telling you that you will have to pay a higher Part B premium, and you do not think your income is high enough or your circumstances have changed, you have the right to request that Social Security lower your premium. You will have to submit evidence to show that your income is less than what Social Security thinks it is.