When you move abroad, you should stop paying premiums for your Medicare Advantage Plan or stand-alone Part D prescription drug plan. You are no longer eligible for these plans if you do not live in the plan service area, and your coverage must end if you live outside of the United States. If you enroll in Medicare for the first time when abroad, you will only enroll into Original Medicare Parts A and B, as Medicare Advantage Plans and Part D plans require you to live within the plan service area in the United States. If you move back to the United States, you have a Special Enrollment Period (SEP) to join a Part D prescription drug plan or a Medicare Advantage Plan. Your SEP begins the month before your move and lasts up to two months after your move.

If you decide to enroll into a Medicare Advantage Plan or Part D plan, make sure to select the plan that works best for your drug and health care needs. Be prepared to ask questions when choosing a Medicare Advantage Plan or choosing a Part D plan. You must inform the plan you choose of your address in the United States, so they can confirm you are eligible to enroll.