If your red, white, and blue Original Medicare card is lost or stolen, or you can no longer use it because it is too faded or damaged, you can replace it by contacting the Social Security Administration. You can also apply for a new card online or go to your local Social Security office.

To get a new card, you will need to provide your:

  • Name as it appears on your most recent Social Security card
  • Social Security number
  • And, date of birth

Note: Starting in April 2018, Medicare is mailing new Medicare cards to all Medicare beneficiaries. Your new card will have a unique number that is different from your Social Security number. If your new Medicare card is lost, stolen, or damaged, you will be able to print your own replacement card.

If you get Medicare health or drug benefits from a Medicare Advantage Plan, such as an HMO, PPO, or PDP, you need to call your plan to get your card replaced.

If you get Medicare through the Railroad Retirement Board, contact the Railroad Retirement Board to order a replacement Medicare card. You should get your new card in the mail within 30 days.

To avoid complications, keep your insurance cards and other important information in a safe place, make photocopies, and write down the numbers so that you have a record for future reference if you lose any of them.

Also, if your Medicare card has been lost or stolen, watch out for Medicare fraud. Check your Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) for services you did not receive, and if you spot any, call the Inspector General’s fraud hotline at 800-HHS-TIPS (800-447-8477) to report them. You can also get help from your local Senior Medicare Patrol. You may request that Medicare refrain from using your name while it investigates the potential fraud.