Whether you have Original Medicare or a Medicare Advantage Plan, Medicare covers your durable medical equipment (DME) if you meet the following two conditions:
- Your primary care provider (PCP) must sign an order, prescription, or certificate. In this document, your PCP must state that:
- You need the requested DME to help a medical condition or injury
- The equipment is for home use
- And, if applicable, a face-to-face visit occurred
- Your face-to-face visit, when required, must take place no more than six months before the prescription is written. Your provider should know if Medicare requires a face-to-face visit for the item you need.
- Once you have your PCP’s order or prescription, you must take it to the right supplier to get coverage. Be sure only to use suppliers with approval from Original Medicare or your Medicare Advantage Plan.
Note: There is a different process if you need coverage for a manual or power wheelchair or scooter.