During a Medicare-covered skilled nursing facility (SNF) stay, Part A covers:
- A semi-private room and meals
- Skilled nursing care provided by nursing staff
- Therapy, including physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy
- Medical social services and dietary counseling
- Medical equipment and supplies
- Ambulance transportation to the nearest provider of needed services, when other modes of transportation would endanger your health
Each benefit period, Part A covers the full cost of your first 20 days in a SNF. For days 21-100, Part A covers part of the cost and you pay a daily coinsurance. To be eligible for Medicare SNF coverage, your care must be medically necessary.