If you think there is something wrong with a bill for a Medicare service, call your doctor, provider, or the facility first to check if there was an error. You may want to speak to the billing department as well.

If you are still concerned and have Original Medicare, you can contact the Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC). The MAC is the company that processed your Medicare claim, and their information can be found on your Medicare Summary Notice (MSN). Alternatively, you can call1-800-MEDICARE (633-4227).

If you are still concerned and have a Medicare Advantage Plan, contact your plan directly. Your plan’s phone number should be on the back of your benefit card and on your Explanation of Benefits (EOB).

To report fraud, contact 1-800-MEDICARE (633-4227), the Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) Resource Center (877-808-2468), or the Inspector General’s fraud hotline at 1-800-HHS-TIPS (447-8477). Medicare will not use your name while investigating if you do not want it to.