If your red, white, and blue Original Medicare card has been lost or stolen, or you can no longer use it because it is too faded or damaged, you can replace it by calling the National Social Security Hotline at 800-772-1213. You can also apply for a new card online or go to your local Social Security office.

To get a new card, you will need to provide your

  • name as it appears on your most recent Social Security card;
  • Social Security number; and
  • date of birth.

Note: If you get Medicare health or drug benefits from a Medicare Advantage Plan such as an HMO, PPO, or PDP, you need to call your plan to get your plan card replaced. If you get Medicare through the Railroad Retirement Board, call the Railroad Retirement Board Help Line at 877-772-5772 to order a replacement Medicare card.

You should get your new card in the mail within 30 days.

To avoid complications, keep your important insurance cards in a safe place, make photocopies, and write down the numbers so that you have a record for future reference if you lose any of them.

If your Medicare card has been lost or stolen, watch out for Medicare fraud. Check your Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) for services you did not receive and, if you spot any, call the Inspector General’s fraud hotline at 800-HHS-TIPS (800-447-8477) to report them. When it investigates the potential fraud, Medicare will not use your name if you do not want it to.